Monday, March 3, 2008

So the big joke these days is what the weather will be like. Spring in Colorado is random as hell. Saturday it was a bit above 50 degrees, the warmest it has been since November! Then on Sunday the wind came with a big snow storm and dropped almost 2 feet, WTF? Now there is not a cloud in the sky and the temp is in the upper 20's...needless to say I am a bit confused. I want to throw on my sandals and skip around the snow-laden ground, but just when I think I can, I can't. Way lame.

I did not notice on Saturday that the birds were chirping again! The sound of birds only registers after it has been absent for months. I think if I was a bird I would choose to live elsewhere, the weather is just too unpredictable. Now Vultures, they know what is up. They fly endless circles around the desert and the only thing they need to know is that is hot and arid as fuck. Never changes, thus it is easy to adapt. Although being permanently thirsty/hungry would not be my choice situation. Or being horribly ugly and bald.

People started moving home this week from the resort as we begin to slow with the end of the ski season steadily approaching. It is a little sad to see some of my friends go. Some are all the way from Australia so I might not see them again, ever. I'd like to think I will eventually make it out there to Australia for some surfing or something. I have places to stay in Melbourne and Sydney, rumor has it. With their departure comes the arrival of Spring Breakers. It's funny to see the "fresh-faced college boys" as of my co-workers not so gently put it. Their fake IDs are great but it a town this small no one really cares. Makes me laugh at my old IDs and makes me wish I still had them. Alecia's dad still has his first fake ID and I remember the day he showed us. It had to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen and I cannot believe people were that stupid about identification back then.

He was from Utah, so he had some rocks in the background. Printed on the card were some vitals and that was it. He said the rock formations were the key element to its success. It was a piece of paper no thicker than a social security card. My favorite part was that the name on the card was not his, but he signed his own name on the bottom anyway. I do not think I have laughed that hard at a fake ID, ever. At the same time I was angered that when I was younger I had to go through so much bullshit and pay out the ass for my fake. It had to scan, it had to blacklight and it had to be the appropriate thickness so it would feel right and it cost me $150. His was free because he and his buddy made them in their garage. Mine was made with a stolen DMV machine that was later tracked to the kid and he was promptly arrested. Them's the breaks. Speaking of cops, a girl who I work with at the bar told me her friend got arrested for trying to transport 100 pounds of reefer from New York to L.A. She got busted on a routine traffic stop and now she's looking at serving 5-10, ouch. It makes me happy that while I knowingly spend my money in the black market from time to time, I never plan on making a living off of it. I am happy to pay a high premium for my unmentionables.

There is no order to this post. There has been no order to most of the posts in here. I should work on that. I should not write fragments. But I like fragments, grammar be damned. I speak in fragments often so I think it is more than appropriate. Writing is about voice, knowing what sample came from which person. My voice, however incoherent, is there I hope. My writing goal for the year, other than keeping up with this blog, is eliminating my abuse of the comma. I use it far too often and when I don't I usually produce a fragment. Full circle. I should steal a grammar book from a fifth grader so I can learn all the secrets without being overwhelmed while at the same time enjoying multicultural pictures of kids in generic colored shirts doing non-descript non segregational activities. That or go the OWL at Purdue. I cannot tell you how many times I used that site when writing MLA or APA format research papers. Notice how I started with birds and ended with birds in a different sense. I am a literary master!

No comments: