Wednesday, March 19, 2008

So now a bit of sad news. Recently a member of my family passed away. I use the term "family" loosely because it was actually a computer that died on me, sigh. My "little laptop that could" was given to me before I moved and finally breathed it last little operational breathe as it battled what I can only rationalize was cancer). Instead of booting up and getting ready to serve my computational needs, it just stares at me with a blank black screen, makes a faint blip and repeats this process indefinitely. Ah well, we had a good run I suppose. I knew this say was coming, I just wish I could have had a little warning as I just spent about 700 bucks on snowboarding things in anticipation of next season (with an attempt to squeeze in some time this season provided the expedited shipping is actually getting expedited). That money could have gone towards a new laptop. I now have to get my PC from Arizona out here pronto, but I don't want my parents to ship it to me because I know they will F that up by missing a cable or two thus rendering it useless. I am forced to conduct my webbings at work for the time being, not any real shock.

St.Paddy's was alright here in the boat. The crowds were drunk and rowdy, but something about not being in a large city this year made it a little disappointing. For example, in Phoenix, Flogging Molly played. There are 3 Irish bars all within the same vicinity in Tempe, two of which serve Boddingtons! If you have never had the privilege of drinking a Boddingtons's I suggest that you, you'll love me for it. I was stuck drinking bud light in green cans this year. The beer was still goldenish, not green. I chased Jameson with my roommate, avoided a 50 year old cougar that wanted my balls, laughed at my friend for having an obese female stalker and went home by 3:30. I had to work at 8. My roommate came home as I was leaving for work and apparently he got punched in the side of the head for being too from Boston or something. He was drunk and high and rambling so I moved past him and hurried to work as I was already 15 minutes late. At least there was not a giant layer of frost on my windows so I could just put the keys in and go.

Not too much else has changed. Still working every night and pondering life everyday. I was working the lifts last week and that gave me a ton of time to just reflect on everything this year which was good. What was not good was that I neglected sunscreen on my first day and as a result burned my face pretty nicely. I have gone through all the stages of a face sunburn; embarrassment, shame, redness, hiding, itching, flaking and now the best part...awkward tan lines where I was wearing my goggles. I'll post some pics to document this tragedy when I can but for now you will have to take my word at digital value. Good thing cancer doesn't run in my family (unless you happen to be a computer).

Spring officially starts tomorrow. I never knew seasons had official start dates. I assumed seasons started when it "felt" like it was _______. I wonder if this angers God to have arrogant little people tell Him what weather to provide, when. I envision this giant, celestial calendar with March 20th circled in big red ink. Maybe a Lisa Frank sticker there too, because all those stickers (from what I remember) remind me of spring; being all glittery and shiny. Spring in Steamboat is a bit of a misnomer because when everyone else is enjoying all the lush greenness that emerges, Steamboat suffers from torrential mud. I don't actually know if mud can be torrential, but I know rain can and rain produces mud, so the word must be interchangeable. The start of mud season has already begun and there have been several victims: My white kicks, my white Civic, my white skin. Basically anything that appears chaste and pure no longer does.

I am also having one of those days where I cannot type anything right the first time. Its quite annoying. Today wasn't bad, not by a long shot, just uneventful. I ordered some jeans online because I refuse to buy jeans from Wal-Mart. I don't have to work tonight but will probably end up at work during happy hour because they provide cheap libations since I pick up shit 5-6 nights a week there. I also need to do laundry but I hate doing chores when I know I have rare free time that I could spend doing nothing important. Drunken laundry never pans out the way I envision it in my head anyway. I typically ruin about 2 things, be them shirts or pants or a combination of the two, when I attempt laundry whilst intoxicated. I think I might actually pay for professional laundry services at some point because I despise doing laundry that much. I am much more content to just wear dirty, sometimes smelly, garments.

1 comment:

Ali Mc said...

BLAH!!!! :)

I just read all that but I'm so stoned and tired I forget what it said....sorry :) you're cute though!