Friday, February 29, 2008

Dude fell six stories off of a hotel yesterday and died. Dude was only 24 years old, graduated high school the same year as me and was also an Iraq veteran. Dude didn't deserve to go out like that. A false sense of confidence is what killed him. He unhooked from his rope without a backup, walked over a patch of snow on the roof that broke, seperated from the snowpack, and carried him off the roof. Apparently he caught the rope but the ensuing snow from the roof knocked him off the rope where he fell to his death. Authorities announced him dead at the scene.

This has been the first "local" death here in Steamboat since I moved. In Phoenix I am sure like 8-10 fools fell off their roofs and died as a result of smoking meth up there and subsequently falling each day. Here, deaths are not that common so when they do happen everyone knows about it. The bar last night was abuzz with the death of this young man. Most people knew who he was, I did not. It was very interesting to see the contrast in patrons last night. Locals were very sullen, quiet, focusing on their drinks. Out of townees were loud, obnoxious, dirty and rude. A self reflective lense makes me feel guilty because I fear I may have acted like that at some point and not known what was going on aroud me. A big metaphor could relate this scenario to, I don't know, Iraq?

I don't really have a mind for politics, probably because my closest friends obsess over them. Its draining to listen to them bicker about why Republicans and Fox News suck; things I already knew. Content in their discussions, I abstain and only briefly pick my head up to say the occasional, "you think? Uh huh? Makes sense". I find these limited answers do not offend them and they do not invite them to continue addressing their point. I'll talk shop when things matter to me; either when I am homeless or old.

I don't care that Hill-Dog's campaign is looking for legal loopholes in case she loses to Barack in Texas. I don't care that McCain could win the most likely to be Ronald Reagan who traveled back in time and stole another's identity when he figured out he was going bat-shit crazy award. And I really don't care who is supporting who. I just want to cast my vote for Barack and be done with it. My reason for voting for him, his name has bar in it. That statement should anger just about anyone who cares about politics, heh.

I realize the irnoy is saying I do not care for political discussion and the write a blog post on political discussion. My life is very ironic, this is but an example of this. I would however, like to take this opportunity to thank the government for the free money i receieved this morning. Something about seeing your account with a trasnfer that says U.S. Department of Treasury makes you smile. That, coupled with a check in the mail with my name on it in the amount of 300-600 bucks, makes this a time of great success! Mr. Bush, you are still an idiot and your Presidency will still be a failure, but thanks for the dollas. I will blow them like you want me to, mainly on domestic products (alcohol). So, thanks I guess, for supporting my habit?

No comments: