Monday, February 18, 2008



I have been in a weird mood lately, and it is hard to say why. I've been sick over the weekend; a result of a welcome case of strep. There are two possible culprits, a girl in my office who recently got over being sick, or a girl in the bar that I work at that baby-sits. Either way, both them were sick and I was lucky enough to be stricken with something. The upside to all that was that I had to stay home from work for 2 days, which then rolled over to my weekend, so there's the downside. I was really looking forward to getting some time on the mountain but when I tried to ride on Sunday I got winded and exhausted after one run and decided it for the best that I retire.

Despite me being sick I did manage to get a lot done. I managed to get a huge weight off my back and it feels a lot easier to breath now. Days are again filled with anticipation and the dread of tomorrow has ceased. I'm still looking for a balance but I know I will strike it eventually. In positive financial news, I filed my taxes and because I am poor the government gave me a rebate of 1300 bucks! Thanks Uncle Sam. The plan is to save as much of that money as possible for my road trip back to Phoenix in May, with a possible detour to California, Vegas, or Mexico. I don't see myself really dipping into that money too much until then as the only real things to buy here in Steamboat are snowboarding gear and alcohol, both of which I have plenty. With regard to the alcohol, I have taken up drinking in the morning...just one drink. I find that a double shot screwdriver works far better than a cup of coffee or energy drink does. I tell myself it is better for me than filling myself with endless amounts of caffeine and ultimately leading to a mid-day slump. That or I am alcoholic. The funny thing is that I am pretty sure I learned this lesson with my family during the holidays.

Spring is beginning to pierce the clouds finally. There have been more partly sunny days as of late and I am thankful for it. The winter is a great time of year, the peaceful quiet that blankets the ground in unison with the snow was welcome, and soon its disappearance will be, too. I think living in a place with perpetual sun makes you take for granted how beautiful the outdoors is. The thermostat crept above 40 this weekend, briefly, and I could swear people's spirits crept up with it. I remember one time when I was in Chicago and it was the first warm day in March and the whole of the city emptied into the parks and waterfront. I wish I had a camera then. Children were playing in fountains, Navy Pier was bustling, the only thing off was that the Cubs weren't playing. I'm looking forward to that atmosphere because I know it is fast approaching, groundhogs be damned. The river is beginning to thaw out and will start running again which means the return of the beavers who are a friendly lot. I want to be outdoors with my shirt off sitting in a lawn chair looking out on to the river listening to some good music sipping on a cold beer. I don't want a watch or a cell phone, just good company and maybe some sunglasses, depending on which way I am facing.

I got a taste of that when I went to Phoenix last week to say hi to all my friends and lady liquor. The weather was perfect; sunny with temperatures in the mid 70's. Shorts, t-shirt and sandals...yes. It was great to see everyone who I miss a ton. We took in a Sun's game, some beer darts, a keg on Saturday and good times all the way 'round. The escape from the cold was too short, but any longer would have been too much.

I just heard a new-age music remake of the "Jem and the Holograms" theme...AWESOME

No comments: