Wednesday, January 23, 2008


Right before I leave work, I typically check the news one last time just to make sure I have my fingers on the pulse of America. The usual fare is economic worries, China trying to kill our children with lead-based toys or what’s current in Britney Spears life. Imagine my surprise when I log on to cnn.com and see the headline, “Heath Ledger dead at 28”. It’s one of those headlines where you just kind of stare at it and re-read it 5-10 times before the message finally sinks in. It’s not an emotional feeling when you read it, rather one of bewilderment.

Now this may be insincere but after I finally understood what I was reading my thoughts focused on one thing, does this mean the Dark Knight won’t be released as promised (Heath Ledger was the Joker)? Batman Begins is arguably one of the best superhero movies to have been produced and now there’s a chance of a ^more^ delayed sequel? Don’t get me wrong, I feel for the guy dying, but a great sequel dying is equally as tragic. I quickly asked the guy behind me in my office what his thoughts were and to my relief he told me that they had already finished filming and were in editing currently. After a huge sigh of relief I confessed my immediate thoughts to him only to be met with laughter and the admittance that he, too, thought that at first. Reassured and no longer in panic mode I decided it was time to read the article and get past the headline.

I know people have a tendency to think the best of people, but an overdose on sleeping pills? I don’t think so. Who overdoses on sleeping pills accidentally? There are clear instructions on every bottle; barring some kind of allergic reaction or genetic disposition to the chemicals contained within how could one accidentally overdose on them?

“I haven’t been sleeping well at all lately, so I am going to take 20 pills, that’ll bring some Z’s!”

Really? Really?! Get a clue people, this was intentional. It doesn’t take a forensic scientist to tell you that. That being said, it could be an interesting episode idea for a Law and Order episode, where a prominent young actor “accidentally” overdoses on sleeping pills only to be discovered towards the end of the episode that it was the jealous friend, with less success, who poisoned him out of spite. Sam Waterston could crack him in no time. Actually, I think there was a Law and Order episode like this, probably two.

I won’t speculate as to why he did it, it’s not that important. No one can change what happened and for whatever reason this man thought the world best without him. Our celebrity obsessed culture should look upon this as a lesson to reach out to those who may put up a façade of happiness, but probably won’t. The real irony is that people will keep popping pills to prevent themselves from feeling.

This story did sadden me, but for a different reason than most. When I watch the Oscars this year and look upon all the faces of actors we lost in 2007, one will not be a surprise. I’ll see Heath ledger’s face (hopefully not from the Patriot) and think what surprise could have been mine, but with a story this big there’s no way that was ever going to happen.

No comments: