Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I had a great little blog entry that I was working on, but it got a little too sciency, so I sent it to the draft table to revisit. I am pretty sure only Suzie would appreciate it. Let me just say that you and I Suzie, as cool as we may seem, are total nerds at heart because we both get excited about science. For me, outer space gets me hard.

Having said that let me digress. I am slowly become an environmentalist. I wish I could say that it was not the severity of the times that opened my eyes, but it probably was. I wince when I hear terms like carbon footprint because it just seems too preachy, but I think I have made huge steps towards reducing my own. I haven’t used my car in over a week. It is sitting idle in my parking lot. I have been using reusable bags at the grocery store. I have been making an effort to recycle all my beer cans. And you know what? It feels really good. It’s nice to feel like part of a simple solution. I could be the variable in the following equation: 2 + X = 4. Figure it out. If you can’t, replace X with 2.

Sorry for the analogy, but honestly it just seems that simple. It is the little things that people are just unwilling to do because they are lazy. I was like that for a very long time, but I think living in Colorado has taught me to really appreciate nature and our planet . Everyone here just enjoys the outdoors. Nay, they relish being outside. There is this connection that is almost primeval that brings people back to their roots. Humans did not start out in air conditioned houses in the middle of summer. They could not simply walk to a store to get food or flip a switch to get light. At the end of the day I think humans are missing that connection to nature more than they (I) will admit.

I’m about 7 beers deep so I apologize for this entry. It makes sense in my head but it may seem like stupid rambling .

4 comments:

Krista said...

Hard eh? So would it be dirty if I said Pluto IS a planet?

I try my best, I take out the recycling even when it's NOT MY TURN, and I walk or bus allll the time. If you get it in your habit it won't feel like you're going out of your way to save the earth, it'll just be natural. Some people can't see the difference.

tyler said...

You should take more stands against things seven beers deep

Guillermo said...

Thursby, firstly let me say that the only reason I come here is the hope that you'll put up naked pictures of yourself AND for the drunken science posts. Please stop holding back.

But you my friend, need not worry about stigma. You and I are merely capitalists who understand that the cost of building a beautiful outdoors if it went away would be more money than anyone ever has ever, so it is simply less expensive to preserve this one now.

Anonymous said...

Awww, Chuck, I miss your rantings! It's nice that you're coming around...environmentally speaking :D Watch out...you may be living in a "Collective Community," yet! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Love from MN!